Re: [Freeciv-Dev] No palace !

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] No palace !
From: a_beraud@xxxxxxxx (Alexandre BERAUD)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:05:27 +0100 (MET)

>You and I seem to have different concepts of "game".
>A game is supposed to be "fun", entertaining, and have an aim. Having
>scores or not is irrelevant.

Hmmm. The problem is that since "Pong", nobody has ever discovered
a new style of game. They all seem to be the same.

>Civ 1, Civ 2, Railroad Tycoon, Alpha Centauri and such are games.

Yes, maybe.

>SimCity is "kind of" a game.

No, I think SimCity is in the same category as Civ/Freeciv !

>SimEarth, SimLife, etc. are not games, they're "software toys". They're
>like "here's your world, now experiment".
>I'm not saying they're not interesting, they certainly are, but in a
>different way.

Well, I haven't played them, yet.

>> (I think we'll have to ask Sid Meyer)
>
>I remember him saying once that the most important thing for him in a game
>was that it should be fun, that it was more important than being, for
>example, realistic, or having good graphics.

Sure ! Fine grafix are a good thing, but are not the core of a game
like Civ/Freeciv. As I already told, I had most of fun playing CivI
on my old Atari ST with horrible 16 colors gfx.
However, I continue thinking Civ/Freeciv should have been a game of
life, history, Earth and I really feel sad when my SpaceShip reaches
its destination and the game suddenly stops (actually, I have never
know this situation with Freeciv, as I neve managed to survive long
enough) :o)

Bye.

Alexandre BERAUD