Game differences (was RE: [[Freeciv-Dev] Babarians])

To: "'freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Game differences (was RE: [[Freeciv-Dev] Babarians])
From: Stig Haugdahl <stig.haugdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:39:53 +0100

> >     There are a *LOT* of things that freeciv gives you that
> civ1/civ2
> > doesn't.  Starting Civ1, you have:
> >     1) No gold in treasury.  (Freeciv gives you 50).

Starting gold depends on game level in CivI/II.

> >     2) No starting Tech.  Random Chance of 1 or 2 advances.
>  (Freeciv
> > gives you 3, guaranteed)

In CivII, starting tech is decided by an as of yet not
discovered algorithm, factors include nearness to enemies
and surrounding terrain types. Mucho grassland alone on
large continent gives you zero tech, on an arctic island shared
by several civs will give you LOADS. Game level is most
probably not factored in here.

> >     3) 1 starting settler, random chance of 2.  (Freeciv
> gives you 2).

CivII deity (and CivI emperor, IIRC) always start with
two settlers. For lower levels, same factors as tech apply.

> >     4) No starting explorer.
>
> Server option "explorer".

Should be default off. IMHO.

> So I guess we're arguing over server option defaults? :-)

But of course.

> And whoever loses that arguement can always make a server
> commands file for their preference, which could even be included
> in the distribution.  A file to specify Civ1/Civ2 compliance
> (as much as possible) would probably be good.  And feel free to
> submit changes to data/civ1.serv, which is supposed to mimic Civ1.
> Eg, from above I guess it should have "set gold 0" ?

Now, why didn't I think of that?

> > > In CivII it is possible to win the space race even on deity with
> > > just one city. (Not me, I've won with five on deity, and just
> > > the one on chieftain.) In freeciv, the only way to win to expand.
> > > But I digress.
>
> It this mainly because of difference in rules, or because of AI
> differences between Civ2/freeciv would you say?

Haven't played FreeCiv enough to say. My feeling is that science
runs too fast for infrastructure and unit building to catch up
in FreeCiv. I know, a suitable server command file would fix that.
Different AI personalities diplomacy would help, too, to make
some more random elements.

stig