Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: overlooked help text

To: wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: overlooked help text
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:15:33 +1100

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> It seems that a version of my earlier patch (movement of units from
> ship to shore does not require ZOC checks) went into CVS, but omitted
> the change to the help text.  (Apologies if it's actually in CVS --
> my copy is a day or two out of date.)

Actually, no I don't think that patch did make it into cvs
at all.  And I'm hesitant about putting it in cvs, since
it somewhat penalises the AI.  (Although it probably makes
the AI's job easier once it knows about this change; yes I
know some people want an easier AI, but some other people
need a challenge, and this isn't a good fix for that anyway!)

>   The following Freeciv ZOC effects differ from some similar games:
>   - Enemy cities with no units in them impose ZOC.
> - - Land units moving from boats at sea onto land are subject to ZOC.
>   These cases will probably be changed in a future version of Freeciv.

Also, that help fix isn't really sufficient.  The clause
modified is just an explanatory note comparing the effects
in freeciv to those in (eg) Civ2.  The full zoc rules are
described above that clause and need to be adjusted too.
(Eg, put in a specific exception for moving off boats.)

Regards,
-- David