Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Tiles graphics format (xpm)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Tiles graphics format (xpm)
From: Markus Linnala <maage@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 Mar 1999 17:46:22 +0200

Nick Lamb <njl98r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm happy to see low-colour graphics continue in XPM, but I'd like to see
> later Freeciv clients move towards imlib or whatever to load graphics in
> PNG, XPM or whatever new formats we have to look forward to.

I made quick test with imlib.

Just verified that client runs and it can render tiles from
24bit to suit your need (8bit).

I blurred tiles with gimp and saved it with 29k colours
apparently. It worked fine with 16 bit. At 8bit display freeciv
loaded xpms about 10 minutes! (p133) But eventually it ran fine
too, and with quick glance tiles were lookin ok.

I think images should have 1 pixel border between the icons. It
sure could be easier to edit the icons as you could distinguish
one icon from the another.

You have to run aclocal etc. to be able to build with this
patch. You also need imlib-1.9.4 (dunno if other versions work).
And you need to have imlib.m4 somewhere and aclocal has to be
able to access it.

  --with-imlib            compile with imlib
  --with-imlib-prefix=PFX   Prefix where IMLIB is installed (optional)
  --with-imlib-exec-prefix=PFX Exec prefix where IMLIB is installed (optional)
  --disable-imlibtest       Do not try to compile and run a test IMLIB program

--
//Markus