[Freeciv-Dev] Tiles graphics format (xpm)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Tiles graphics format (xpm)
From: "Martin Willemoes Hansen" <martin_w_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 20:19:46 -0000

Hi Freecivers!

I was wondering why we still are using the xpm format
when there is better ones out there!

If it would be posible I suggest that we move to a
better format when working on the 1.9.x version.

Ralf engels suggested that we use the gif or png
format. I dont exactly know the difference between
these format. All I know is that the gif is widely used
and I have heard that the png have a better license
or something than gif has. Somebody enlighten me!

The features we get out of using this new format would
be:

The graphics files wont be so big as they are now, and
we can have many more colors without a drastic size
doubling.
The question of tiles borders would be improved, like
the gfx artist wont have to draw borders, the client
could blend it online in the game.

Bad things is we might have to code a lot .. well I
dont know if we have too, because I dont realy know
what it takes hehe :)

Hope u guys will give some comments on this one ...

Best regards

Martin Willemoes Hansen

E-Mail  martin_w_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IRC     Dr_nick | irc.stampede.org #stampede
ICQ     11597690

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums