[Freeciv-Dev] Pre-Alpha WIN 95/98/NT Installation Available to Test

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Pre-Alpha WIN 95/98/NT Installation Available to Test
From: "Todd Goodman" <tsg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 13:18:13 -0500

I have a very preliminary WIN 95/98/NT installation of Freeciv
available from an ugly web page at
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corner/2874.

It uses a shareware installation tool which I have purchased.
This came up with the Xemacs WIN 95/98/NT self-extracting
installation.  There is no open source WIN 95/98/NT installation
tool available so Xemacs decided to go with commercial as well.

I'm open to other suggestions.

This installation includes Freeciv as built today (28-Feb-1999).
I've included the classic tiles as well as the default at this
point (perhaps in the future we can have a tiles distribution).

It uses .bat files from the start menu to set the FREECIV_DATADIR
environment variable.

I'm aware of the following bugs/issues and will look into them
in the future (though I'd gladly accept code/scripts/suggestions):

- The civ.bat file and civc.bat file sets DISPLAY to the local
        host.  This should check if DISPLAY is set and leave it
        alone if it is.
- The icons for the server and client in the start menu are ugly
        MSDOS icons.  I need to get some good icons to use here.
- The .bat files started from the start menu are not set to terminate
        on exit.  This forces the user to click the X to get rid of them.
- When starting up the client it complains that it can't open your
        home directory.  I think I need to define the home directory as
        the installation directory.
- When starting up the client it complains about getpwname().  I think I
        need to do something similar to the previous.
- The default name looks funky.

These problems all occur on a Windows98 machine that doesn't have Cygwin
installed.  On my WindowsNT machine with cygwin installed and running
under a cygwin shell, I don't experience any of these problems.

Please let me know of any comments/suggestions/critcisms via
the freeciv-dev mail list.

Thanks,

Todd Goodman