Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wonder Tiles (at last !) :o)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Wonder Tiles (at last !) :o)
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:40:39 +1100

"beraud" <berauda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At last, here are the Wonder Tiles.

> For everyone:
> Well... Hem... I'm confused but... Can someone tell me how I can convert
> plenty-of-colors XPM file to a 256-colors XPM file ? (I succeded in converting
> it using Xpaint but it ruins the transparent background...)

Right-click -> Image -> Indexed

The palette used for the  Engels tiles in cvs is attached.
(This has 64 colours.)  You can put this in your
~/.gimp/palettes, and then in the dialog you get from the
above you can select this as a custom palette, to produce
an xpm with colours matching the default tiles.

The second attachment has this done.  Most of them look ok
with this many colours IMO.

Lalo Martins wrote:

> As for how many colors, if you "head"
> wonders.xpm you'll notice there are 600 colors (the first number
> on the third line).

Actually, that is part of the image dimensions (600x60).
The number of colours is the third number: 3997 (!)
Specifying all those colours takes up alot of the file
size (I don't think xpm is a particularly good format
for lots of colours) so the reduced colour image is a lot
smaller.  (Also, with many colours xpm uses two characeters
per pixel, but only 1 per pixel with reduced colours, which
also contributes to making the file smaller).

Regards,
-- David
GIMP Palette
# 64-color palette for freeciv engels tiles
18 14 17        Unknown
146 145 148     Unknown
111 81 66       Unknown
239 239 230     Unknown