[Freeciv-Dev] Civil war and friends

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Civil war and friends
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 01:11:20 -0300

While watching Babylon 5 [;-)], I had some thoughts on Civil
War...

Basically, in Real Life (TM), taking over a capital rarely
results in civil war; and this is the most rare way of getting a
civil war that I'm aware of :-) So:

1: Perhaps when you take over a capital, the country _may_ split
(perhaps in more than two factions); the chance would take into
account the government type (democracy and communism are less
succeptible) and happiness? Also, there should be a reasonable
chance that one of these parts is won over by the person who
conquerred the capital (chance bigger if the conqueror has a
bigger overall hapiness)?

Perhaps some new tech can lower the chances? Telecommunications,
or Computer Networks?

2: Civil war could also happen on some other situations? For
example:

 * if 3 or more cities are unhappy or worse for 3 or more turns
   at the same time that 3 or more cities are happy or better
   for 3 or more turns; all happy or better band on one side,
   unhappy or worse on the other, and contents are split trough
   some other heuristic (random?)

 * if x or more cities revolt in the same turn when x or more
   cities celebrate (x perhaps 3, but maybe more); same logic as
   above

 * if player selects a new government system that would generate
   revolt in y or more cities, these cities split off, taking
   some others with them (perhaps those closer, or those that
   they have trade routes with, something)

This can make the game produce more fun units, and is also
similar to Real Life (TM). Also, if we come up with 3 or 4 more
features like this one, it may even come a day when playing
alone is fun :-)

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----