RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Cygwin Client Build - SM and ICE

To: "'David Pfitzner'" <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Freeciv-Dev] Cygwin Client Build - SM and ICE
From: "Todd Goodman" <tsg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:41:51 -0500

[SNIP]

> Ok, so this is another library link order problem.
> The above patch isn't the "correct" fix, since as you say
> they already appear, just in the wrong place.  (We currently
> combine X_PRE_LIBS into X_LIBS, iirc.)  So the above will
> include them twice, which could cause problems on some
> other systems?  :-(

I agree.  I honestly couldn't figure out how it was being built
up.  I'd be happy to hear from anyone who could explain it to
me.

I didn't think X_PRE_LIB were being used anymore, but they
certainly do appear in X_LIBS after the -L options.

> > The problem was that some of the other libs (-lXt I think)
> have dependencies
> > on SM and ICE and the cygwin ld is single pass by default.
>
> So calling them "X_PRE_LIBS" make sense.  But then we have the IRIX
> problem that -lXaw is supposed to come _before_ -lSM -lICE ??

Sorry, I may not have been clear.  I need them to follow one of the other
libs in the X_EXTRA_LIBS define (could be Xaw that requires them).

They need to follow the library referencing them so the dependency pulls
them in.

I think the IRIX and Cygwin problems will both be fixed by getting the -lSM
and -lICE near the end of the link line (and shouldn't cause problems on
other
systems).

Todd