Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Lists updated!

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Lists updated!
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:39:13 -0600

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 01:47:02AM -0600, Canis_L wrote:

> Listar?
>
> Why the switch, If I may ask?

Well, several reasons:

 * Majordomo is non-free software, which has bothered me for some time.

 * Majordomo does digests in a very poor way -- people have to
   subscribe to a separate list, unsubscribe from the first one, etc.
   It's ugly all around, leads to confusion, and is a hassle for everyone
   involved.

 * Due to its use of -outgoing aliases, Majordomo has a glaring security
   hole in which people can bypass any of the controls or anti-spam measures
   on the list.  If course, you can change to use a different one, but
   still anybody that can read your system's aliases file can find it out.

 * Listar offers a lot of listserv-like options for subscribers that
   are controled with a "set listname flagname" or "unset listname flagname"
   syntax.  These include things like ACKPOST, which lets a person know
   that a message was successfully sent; ECHOPOST, which controls whether
   you get a copy of your own messages; DIGEST, which does the obvious <g>;
   VACATION, to temporarily disable receiving e-mail from a list; etc.

 * Due to a excellent cookie mechanism, the list admin doesn't have to
   remember *any* passwords, and it's more secure!  I really love this
   feature.

> And, since you have my curiosity :), is there a website where I can locate
> this software for evaluation?

http://www.listar.org/.  On the FTP site (linked from there), you can find
tar.gz and RPMs.  I've made DEBs for Alpha and i386 as well, if you use
those.

The biggest current problem is that the documentation is a bit sparse.  Use
the "web cheat sheat" on that site and the changelog to your advantage :-)

> ---The Wolven One
>
> --Yes, I still do exist :)

Hehe :-)