[Freeciv-Dev] patch: ship to shore movement: no ZOC

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] patch: ship to shore movement: no ZOC
From: Greg Wooledge <ic5035%tss1crs.amgreetings.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 16:48:03 -0500

This patch makes Freeciv behave more like Civ1 and Civ2 do when moving
a unit from a ship (Ocean square) -- zone of control is not checked.

I actually wrote this a couple days ago, but I needed to test it to be
sure it works.  The following cases have been tested:

  * Movement from ship to empty shore squares is always allowed.

  * Attacking a unit on shore from a ship is not allowed.  (I haven't
    tested with a Marines yet -- this should be allowed.  But I don't
    think my patch has any effect on this....)

  * Entering a vacant (unprotected) city from ship is allowed under
    Civ2 rules, but not under Freeciv rules.  My patch does not change
    this.  (Personally, I like the Freeciv rule better.)

(Naturally, as soon as I started trying to play a game to a point where
I could test this, the AI started kicking my ass.  Harumph.)