Re: [Freeciv-Dev] settler teamwork patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] settler teamwork patch
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:22:08 -0500

Nicolas BRUNEL (brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>       -This possibility must be explain in the help about settlers
> and engineeers.

Yes, I plan to do this.

>       - Calculus will be fastest if you add a field in the type tile :
> activity and directly add to this field the activity of the unit.

I don't believe this is feasible.  There can be many different types
of activity on a tile at any given moment; it's not uncommon for me to
send two Engineers to an unimproved Grasslands tile, and tell the first
to build a road, and the second to irrigate.  Likewise, I'll often have
Engineers mining and building a road (and then railroad) on a Hill at
the same time.

>       - i'd prefer that there is no exception for pillage.

I've read through the relevant sections of the Civ2 manual a few times
now.  As far as I can tell, the way I've done it is compatible with the
Civ2 docs.  Whenever teamwork is mentioned, it's always in the context of
Engineers and Settlers, implying that only these units may work together.
It also says that military units can pillage (Settlers and Engineers
aren't military units), and that any form of pillaging takes 1 turn.
Thus, there's no need to combine efforts for pillaging (since it only
takes 1 turn, you can't speed it up under the existing code).

But I've never actually pillaged in Civ2, and I don't remember pillaging
in Freeciv.  It just doesn't suit my playing style.

>       - If you want you can also check if there is something to
> change for ai in settlers_find_work.

Hmm... unfortunately, I don't currently understand the AI code.  But
then, I haven't really tried to understand it yet....

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.