Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] request for Freeciv metaserver to be moved

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] request for Freeciv metaserver to be moved
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:00:21 +0100

> > > Maybe we shouldn't bother the client about that? Just roundrobin
> > > metaserver.freeciv.org and make the client try to connect x
> > > times (where x is configurable, defaulting to 3 or 5), each of
> > > them looking up again so the roundrobin alias gives a different
> > > result...
> >
> > Both require control over DNS.  I wouldn't want to make the running of
> > Freeciv metaservers depend on the local sysadmin's approval.
>
> Uh? How so? If I want to an A record pointing to a machine,
> AFAIK the sysadmin doesn't need to do anything. What have I got
> wrong?

If you want an A record, you need approval of the prerson maintaining
that A record, and the person maintaining the reverse map.

For example, you can't roundrobin www.freeciv.org to a machine of ours
without our sysadmin's approval.  I'm pretty sure he wouldn't approve.

I can't see how your solution would permit users to run their own
metaserver without intervention and approval of the local sysadmin.
Some members on this list are their own local sysadmins and have the
facilities to implement this, but it's a needless limitation.

It's also a nice idea.  Why not implement both?  (metaserver.freeciv.org
would be the first server on the default list).

--
Reinier