Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Patch, make it possible to detect required buildings

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Patch, make it possible to detect required buildings
From: Lindqvist Marko <caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:55:20 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, David Pfitzner wrote:

> >  Add entry B_NONE to improvement type id:s
>
> We can probably just use the existing B_LAST as a flag value
> to mean none?

 Yes. Originally there was a reason to make B_NONE different from B_LAST
but this reasoning is no longer valid (if it ever really was).

> I think in principle this sort of thing is a good idea.
> Another similar case would be when a wonder replaces
> (gives the same effect as) an improvement.

 Again I'm suggesting something your rulesets patch (partially) already
does, but a bit different way:

 How about changing is_wonder at improvement_type (currently works
as bool) to contain information about wonders effect range?
 Or better still in case in the future some more information is attached
to wonders only, make it pointer to wonders own structure.
 Possible wonders effect ranges:
 WR_NOTWONDER ( obsolete if information stored at wonders own structure )
 WR_CITY
 WR_CONTINENT
 WR_WORLD
 WR_PLAYER ( Doesn't affect cities, some other special effect: Leonardo's
workshop )
 WR_ALLPLAYERS ( Wonders that affect all players: Manhattan project )
 WR_ONCE ( Wonder have special effect just once when it is built: Darwin's
voyage )

 I'm going to check out if this is so easy to implement as I think.

> These would make sense to add to my rulesets patch, which
> currently only does a half-hearted effort at generalising
> building rules.  A somewhat recent but probably already
> out of date version of rulesets is at:
> http://msowww.anu.edu.au/~dwp/freeciv/patches/rs_new2a.diff.gz

 I still need to read it more carefully before making any (stupid)
comments.

 Caz