Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] auto-attack

To: sfischme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] auto-attack
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:30:18 +1100

Sebastian Fischmeister wrote:

> It seems as if atto attack is comming. I implemented a very rude
> version (all sentry units in a city are used for the auto-attack),

> Who is the 'master of the cvs-code', because I need some changes in
> 'struct player' and 'struct city' and want to discuss this
> first. (perhaps it will be in a new freeciv-version)

That would mostly be me at the moment, though in general the
procedure for making such changes is that same as for other
changes: submit patches and/or discussion to freeciv-dev.
(I am but a humble servant of freeciv-dev ;-)
(Well, when it suits my purposes ;-)

As discussed in private email, I think it would be better to
have a new "auto-attack" unit mode rather than re-using "sentry".
It occurs to me that we could probably re-use the autosettler
'a' command and 'a' tile marker.
That is, for settlers, 'a' puts them in auto-settler mode,
while for military units 'a' puts them in auto-attack mode.
(And non-military non-settlers can't be either.)
(Compare with the current situation for the 'f' command/icon,
which is "build fortress" for settlers, and "fortify" for others.)

Anyone see any problems with this idea?

-- David