Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Hoover Dam bug?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Hoover Dam bug?
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:06:52 +1100

Leif Euren wrote:

[Andrew E. Schulman wrote:]

> > Does the Hoover Dam work for all of my cities anywhere on the map, or
> only
> > on the same continent?

Currently for all your cities anywhere.  The reason "only on the
same continent" has been mooted is that thats how Civ1 works.
One technical problem which would make "continent only" difficult
(or somewhat complicated) is that the client doesn't (and arguably
shouldn't) have absolute knowledge about continents.  My rulesets
patch gives the option of "continent only", and sort of fixes the
latter problem...

> This reminds me of a problem I had when I first played FreeCiv: I kept
> wondering "What city is affected?" The help says that "a city" is
> affected, but not which one. Only later I found out that sometimes _all_
> my cities were affected...
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to do away with this ambiguity? To let the help say
> "all your cities", or "the city with the wonder", or "all cities on the
> same landmass as the wonder", whichever is appropriate. Or would this be
> too verbose?

In some cases I think it is already clear; for the remainder we
should be able to eliminate ambiguity without excess verbosity...

-- David