Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Play by Email

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Play by Email
From: schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Schaefer)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:05:24 +0100

>It would need someone who both knew how play-by-email should
>work, and who was motivated enough to code it for us.
>(Eg, personally I have neither the knowledge nor the motivation.)

It would need a 'verbose' savegame format( very readable ).

But it would be much easier for people to send the savegame around,
by email or by floppy. And it's no problem ( is it ?) to set up
a server with a timeout of 24*3600 seconds i.e. daily timeout,
(although maybe a set saveturns -1 option, meaning save after
 very player ended turn option would be needed someday).

However, wouldn't such a game take too long ?
Another option would be 'parallel play' i.e.
have kindof local servers that merge the worlds
once players make contact( for example,
 if(playerA's worldmap intersects playerB's worldmap)
  {
   create_new_server_copy
   add playerA's data to server
   add playerB's data to server
   connect playerA and playerB to that server
  }
).
I know, that is practically a flying pig kindof idea :-)

On the other hand, perhaps it's feasible by forking servers, or having
packet types where a server can set up another server :-)

--
Peter Schaefer           mailto:schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
coz' hackers LOVE irix