Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: fewer harbours

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fewer harbours
From: schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Schaefer)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:41:11 +0100

Tony wrote:

        The AI really likes to build harbors.  For cities which have not
built an aqueduct yet, this is generally very wasteful.
        Cities under the size which requires an aqueduct can generally
feed themselves quite well.  If anyone has reasons why this is a poor fix,
please discuss them with me.

Peter writes:

        I think it's a good idea to think about improvements like
 that, BUT your fix isn't complex enough.

 For example, a city that has little or no food surplus and is
 using/ has available some sea squares will need a harbor to
 grow to a size where it needs an aqueduct.

 I think somewhere in the AI code there is a function like
 "city wants food to grow" (it is used somewhere in luxury rate/
 tax rate determination).

 Another thing to be careful about is 'dead locks' i.e.
 check that the rule for building an aqueduct isn't:
 if(pcity->size>6 && pcity->food_surplus>0)
        set_city_build(B_AQUEDUCT);
 Which would make the aqueduct wait for a harbor and the harbor
 wait for an aqueduct.
 The new parameter 'aqueductloss' should be considered, too,
 especially when devining the need to buy an aqueduct with money.

 Cheers,
--
Peter Schaefer           mailto:schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
coz' hackers LOVE irix