Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] An illustrated freeciv game

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] An illustrated freeciv game
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:16:03 +0100

> > Having said that, .sav might not be the best extension.  But
> > it's also hard to think of a better one either... :-(
>
> .fciv?

Fine with me.  Second wish: the same question for server startup files
(for use with civserver -r).  The same MIME type can be used,
if the software is able to distinguish the two.  I'd still favour
a different extension

Third wish: a 'magic numbering' convention.

All Freeciv applications should be able to identify the files
they use (at least the save files for use with civserver -f, preferably
the startup command files for use with civserver -r) including the version
number.  Version mismatches can be detected this way.  I should probably
take a look at the capability stuff to see how it helps resolve version
conflicts, but I don't think it can help here.

Proposal:

#fciv-1.7.1

and

#fcivrc-1.7.1

respectively.  Alternative:

#!civserver -f
#version: 1.7.1

and

#!civserver -r
#version: 1.7.1

respectively.  I plan to do some Freeciv coding around Xmas, so if you're
all willing to wait that long, this is something I could tackle.

--
Reinier Post                                             rp@xxxxxxxxxx