Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gettext support

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] gettext support
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:00:06 -0500

Mirar (mirar@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

(Greg Wooledge wrote)
> > I'm still new to autoconf/automake.  Your patch shows a *huge* change
> > to aclocal.m4.  Is the current aclocal.m4 something that's automatically
> > generated, or is it a file that was customized?

> It's made by "aclocal" from the "automake" package, which looks in
> configure.in and adds all needed automake macros to "aclocal.m4",
> which is included by "autoconf" to build "configure".

Ah, that's what I thought.  A quick look at aclocal shows that it will
read the contents of acinclude.m4 if that file exists.  And I already know
that autoconf reads acsite.m4 when it builds configure.  (Warning: the
Makefile doesn't recognize a dependeny between configure and acsite.m4.
After creating/modifying acsite.m4 I had to run autoconf manually.)

So, anyway, it looks like modifying aclocal.m4 would be bad -- the changes
should go somewhere else.

There are too many ac*.m4 files. :-(

--
"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx