Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civil war patch and ruleset.

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Civil war patch and ruleset.
From: Kris Bubendorfer <Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:26:02 +1300

Has anyone actually tried the civil war patch?

> Tony & <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 09:39:26PM +0100, Nicolas BRUNEL wrote:
> >
> > > I'd prefer that units in a stack either slay each other or
> > > move randomly one adjacent and ennemy free square.
>
> I prefer this (well, the second one) too.  And to overcome the problem
> of when such a square is not available, teleport just a _short_ way
> to the nearest such square.  This could even work regarding boats:
> units on the opposite side to the boat can get moved to a nearby
> friendly boat, or be "dropped off" at the nearest shore.

As pointed out by someone (can't remember who - sorry)  Civ and Civ2 do it
by teleporting - this is what the patch currently does.  There were problems
is having them fight it out - but this code is now lost anyway.

Remember, we only teleport those who are most distant from home, and only then
if they they are in a stack.  In reality, most field unit placements remain
pretty much unchanged, as troops most often come from `generator' cities.

> >     All advances learned by the master civilization should be learned
> > by both sides of the civil war.  There's simply no other rational way to do
> > it.  As to what's being researched right now ... I'm not sure that I see
> > a reason to change that, either.  Losing research points sucks.
>
> I agree, don't adjust science/research at all seems best.

Nobody loses anything, except the current research points, all advances remain
the same - that seems reasonable as the empires scientific community is
suddenly split in two.

--

Cheers Kris...