Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Unit editor

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: compsci-project@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Unit editor
From: Christopher Mark Weber <cweber@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 00:16:56 -0600

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Christopher M Weber wrote:
>

> > 2)    Is there any possibilty of implementing this code into freeciv
> >       1.7.2 and higher?
>
> Yes, actually part of the delay I've had in releasing the latest
> version of my patch has been trying to make sure it doesn't break
> anything with normal freeciv, so it can be included safely.
> If 1.7.2 is going to come out soon then I'm thinking to include
> my patch soon _after_ 1.7.2 (rather than introduce lots of new
> bug opportunities for the release).

    I was hoping that when they release 1.7.2 it would already be adopted into
the game.  It seems like such a useful feature.  It should be perfected and
implemented into the source.

    Are the creaters and "heads" monitoring this list?  If so take this under
advisement.

> > 3)    Is the behavior of the of localhost clients like I decribed
> >       originally (the clients must have the same "rules" as the host
> >       player)?
>
> What I've done is have the server read in data files to fill
> in the tables for unit_types[] etc, and then at an appropriate
> time send all that data to the clients, so the clients don't have
> to be local or know about the datafiles (though they do need to know
> how to receive the new data).
> But thats part of the problem with having new unit graphics: do you
> send all the graphics to the clients, or require them to have the
> graphics too, or what?  Not sure.

    The way we had decided to try to implement the code is to have the client
use the server's values for the units, tech, city structs.  It would follow that
we could let the client also use the server's pixmaps.  Our vision is that of
something like a quake server for freeciv.  Where what kind of a game you'll
have is dependent on where you are playing that game.

I have also sent this message to freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
    If anyone else has a better way of implementing this or would like to
elaborate more, please feel free to put your 2 cents worth.

--
Chris Weber