Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [freeciv-dev]AI cheating

To: schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] [freeciv-dev]AI cheating
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:39:00 +1100

Peter Schaefer wrote:

> If someone happens across the relevant code portions :-) how about:
>
> -setting default for ai to easy.
>  reason: newbies won't know how to set ai to easy.

Agreed, or at least make default=normal, since easy is not
yet implemented.  (Or I guess you mean below.)
(Caveat: I think the reason default!=normal is that normal
was not as well tested (by John S) as hard...)

> -make it so that it so that shields don't get halved again if you switch the
> second
>  time that turn.
>  reason: server delay, it's nice and:

Agreed.

> -create a handicap for the AI H_CHANGESHIELDS so that ai will, on easy mode,
>  pay for changing. Creating a mechanism like in the previous proposition
>  should make this workable even with current ai code.

It would be relatively easy to implement this penalty.  What I expect
would be _hard_ would be making the AI take the penalty into account,
and not have it stupidly and harmfully switching production every other
turn.

-- David