Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] New one here! (fwd)

To: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] New one here! (fwd)
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Oct 1998 18:57:34 -0500

Hmm, did I already reply?  I don't know.  I've reread my typo several
times by now I'm not sure :-)

Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > to do.  Nevertheless, the Java client does not speak with the existing
> > FreeCiv server.
>
> Did you mean to say "does now" instead of "does not"? That would make more
> sense.

Yes, I did mean "now".

> I have been working on a java game that would do that kind of scrolling
> (except it would also do it north&south), so I could perhaps help you out
> there. That said, I am a bit sceptical about a java client due to my own
> abandoned attempt at writing a game in Java. The bitmap engine in Java is
> so damn slow that tiled maps _crawl_ across the screen.

The JFC's double-buffering seems to work, and I even saw a 3D game in
Java that ran decently in Netscape's JVM.  See:

http://langevin.usc.edu/Fred/
http://java.sun.com/features/1998/08/games.html

Is your program GPL'd?  If so, I'd love to have a look at the source.

> > The other daunting task is to figure out how the heck to decode all
> > the terrain types from the XPMs, and figure out which go where.
> > (Sorta difficult when there are like 6 types for swamps!)
>
> Go for a better design, when you are effectively rewriting everything
> anyway. My suggestion would be to use Bennet's new tiles, put them into

Where can these new tiles be found?  Are they all in one big file
still?  (Or rather, 3 big files or so)  If so, I still have to figure
out how to decide them.

I'd be very interested in your code; could be quite helpful.

Thanks,
John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |