Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv-Java

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv-Java
From: Esben Haabendal Soerensen <ehs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 18:50:55 +0200 (MET DST)

On 23 Oct 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> > This could make the Java client much nicer than the standard client.
> > It would be nice to be able to customize the window.  Especially when
> > using a very large window.
>
> Yes, I agree.  This is one reason to write a new client.

As well as the interesting point of reaching a much larger audience :-)

> > > The GUI is implemented in JFC/Swing (which will be built in to Java
> > > 1.2).  java.sun.com has the JFC/Swing package; you'll need 1.1beta3.
> >
> > Ok.  Any reason for not using the JDK1.2beta4 ?
>
> Yes.  There is no Linux version :-)

I must be using to much time on this nice Sun Ultra Enterprise 450.

> > Could give me a cvs account ?
>
> OK, this means I must now do research into setting cvs-pserver or
> something.  Hang on.

Hanging on...

> > I would like to have a look at the coda ASAP :-)
>
> I've made a quick website for this stuff at
> http://software.complete.org/freeciv/.  It's got the status,
> instructions for running the code, and links to tar.gz and zip
> versions of the code.

> > Do you have any documentation about these thoughts ?  Or is the only
> > documentation the current code ?
>
> *NO* documentation exists except how to run it, at the webpage.

That was my guess :-)

I will have a look at the code right now...

--
/Esben  (bart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

You want it in one line?  Does it have to fit in 80 columns?   :-)
             -- Larry Wall in <7349@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>