Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv-Java

To: Esben Haabendal Soerensen <ehs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] FreeCiv-Java
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Oct 1998 11:35:47 -0500

Esben Haabendal Soerensen <ehs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What is the status for moving all this stuff to your site ?

Done.  I'm working with the FreeCiv folks so that the lists will soon
be reachable at freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx and freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx.  As
soon as the DNS for freeciv.org gets updated, I can add the
appropriate info to my configs, and we'll be set.  Figure a few days
before that gets set up.  In the meantime, you can post to
freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxx and freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  Incidentally, the
freeciv.midsun.com server is presently down -- another reason to ditch
it, I guess.

At the moment, the mail queue at complete.org is run every 15
minutes.  This is so that I can watch how mail delivery progresses
when the list is first set up.  Within about a week, I'll set it to
transmit messages out immediately after receiving them

> This could make the Java client much nicer than the standard client.
> It would be nice to be able to customize the window.  Especially when
> using a very large window.

Yes, I agree.  This is one reason to write a new client.

> > The GUI is implemented in JFC/Swing (which will be built in to Java
> > 1.2).  java.sun.com has the JFC/Swing package; you'll need 1.1beta3.
>
> Ok.  Any reason for not using the JDK1.2beta4 ?

Yes.  There is no Linux version :-)

> Could give me a cvs account ?

OK, this means I must now do research into setting cvs-pserver or
something.  Hang on.

> I would like to have a look at the coda ASAP :-)

I've made a quick website for this stuff at
http://software.complete.org/freeciv/.  It's got the status,
instructions for running the code, and links to tar.gz and zip
versions of the code.

> Do you have any documentation about these thoughts ?  Or is the only
> documentation the current code ?

*NO* documentation exists except how to run it, at the webpage.

> Ok.  I have just seen that you have already setup to mailing
> lists.  freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxx and freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have tried to subscribe, but I have not received any result
> yet....

I just got your request (I have to manually approve it since your
subscribing at a different address than you sent the message from).
Now that we use cookies, I guess that there is no need for this sort
of thing, so I'll tweak the configs a bit more yet.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org