Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: July 2004:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1785) Documentation: auto-Irrigatio

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#1785) Documentation: auto-Irrigation of the city center
From: banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Jul 2004 22:11:21 +1200

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 22:27, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > > The online manual should also be updated, but not by me. Come to think
> > > of it the "online" manual should be in CVS somewhere, and should
> > > probably be distributed with the game.
>
> Actually. Lots of the online manual is just listing of what is in the
> default ruleset, so a script that converts a ruleset to descriptive html
> would automatically generate large portions of the manual, and make at
> least parts of the manuals for modpacks as well. If the strings in the
> script is translated, so will portions of these modpack manuals.
>
>   - Per

I am facing this now in rndCiv, if each effect had a hint
to explain what it does, that could be assembled to produce
readable help text - this would also be useful for i18n.
i'll have a look

Vasco, thanks for the work on effects,

Does Air_Defend work for Heli attacks ?

Can the group idea also be applied to Governments? units?

;   type        = requirement type; one of:
;                 "None", "Tech", "Gov", "Building", "Wonder","Special",
;                 "Terrain".

can you add unit type ( Land, Sea, Air, Heli, Missile ) to the
above list? that will make it easier to specify "aff_unit" options.

Can i define a building "Tree Farm"
with effects that only work on "Forest tiles with roads on them"

ie, in the old way "Tree Farm" looked like this...
effect          =
    { "type",           "range", "value", "aff_terr", "aff_spec"
      "Trade_Per_Tile", "City",   1,      "Forrest",  "Road"
      "Food_Inc_Tile",  "City",   1,      "Forrest",  "Road"
      "Pollu_Prod_Pct", "City",   50
    }
can the effects patch specify this?

Would it make sense to have another effect range,
national - to mean inside your borders ?

on my wishlist..
 - a range that covered all units from this city
 - a range that was distance from the city
     with either constant or declining power
 - Spy & Diplomat flags broken up

-banjo