Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: September 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: General graphics for Freeciv-feedback request

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: General graphics for Freeciv-feedback request
From: "T.J.T van Kooten" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:10:15 +0200

I'm asking this to find out what is the best way to release
them and prevent future problems:

(A) straight into public domain; + freely available for use; - PD
is a 'weak' system which offers no protection if another
copyright owner comes up with 'identical' image

or

(B) GPL  (which requires copyright as base); - not as 'free' as
PD; + available under an open license which essentially
offers free usel;  + GPL offers copyright protection

If (B) is the case I need to be entitled to copyright to release it
under GPL

>I would be inclined to believe that simply scanning and
> doing touchup does not constitute an original work. The
> question is: do you believe that you _need_ to be entitled to > the copyright?
>
>-mike

That boils down to what constitutes original work.

From what I've read a music sheet of classical song is a
prime example of this. The song (and composition order of
the musical notes) itself are public domain but the layout of
the sheets, printed notes etc...are copyright of the publisher.
E.a it would be illegal to make photocopies from sheets in a
music book, If I put those notes in a music sheet editor
program -and printed it out-  I would have created a 'new'
work and have the freedom to do what I want with it.

P.S
(curious copyright trivia I bumped into)
Apparently the "happy birthday song" is still copyrighted until
2006! :-)

More images coming this weekend.

Thomas