Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: September 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: General graphics for Freeciv-feedback request

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: General graphics for Freeciv-feedback request
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:35:15 -0500

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:56:58AM +0200, T.J.T van Kooten wrote:

> At FUADEC I promised to do some work on finding some
> decent graphics for Freeciv and provide some generic
> graphic that could be used for backgrounds, ilustrations
> etc...All free for use without copyright
>

> I've decided to use some illustrations from my 19th century
> book collection. All public domain right now. The plus side is
> that I have a ton of similars illustrations, but they take some
> work to scan, clean up and look decent.
>
> What you see here is just proof of concept, nothing more.
>
> What I'm looking for right now is feedback to see if this
> course if worth pursuing. Currently there are 4 files located in
> the ftp upload directory called demographics-mockup.jpg ;
> demographics-old.jpg ; egypt.png and romeinse-eetzaal-
> b.png (this illustration was used for the demographics
> mockup)

that's really quite nice.

how easy is it to do this with GTK I wonder?

BTW, I don't believe that you can release this these under the GPL. These
are in the public domain. I can't speak legally, but I do believe it would
be perfectly legitimate for someone to take that image and put it in a
proprietary program.

-mike