Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Music for use Freeciv

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Music for use Freeciv
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:04:28 -0700

scripsit Uros Lepota:

>     i think that freeciv is better without music.. when i play it, i'm
> listening my favorite music and feelin' great! :)

Uros is quite right.  There are several reasons why Freeciv is better
without music:

1) Uros doesn't like the same music I do.  Maybe he does, but it's a
safe bet that he doesn't, and that all the folks on this list have their
own tastes.  (If there are any other Skyclad fans out there, I'll be
impressed ;)

2) Ogg files (or MP3s) are _huge_!  A few minutes of good-quality music
will be larger than the whole source tree.

3) If instead MIDI files or something similar is used, the quality will
be very bad.  I'm sorry, but MIDI files (at least with my basic sound
card!) just can't compete with real music.

4) I've got a hundred-odd CDs of my favorite music, which I can rotate
through, plus about two gigs of MP3s of the best of the best.  Nothing
Freeciv can include is going to be able to compete with that.

The first thing I, or any other music lover, will do is disable the
music and sounds and enjoy my own music when I play.  FWIW, I see no use
in including sound effects, but I can see that some people like them.

I note also that it would be morally very wrong to be playing a game
like Freeciv at work.  However, if a person were to do such a terrible
thing (which I don't condone), having any kind of default sounds or
music could be embarassing.  Silence is your friend (as are minimization
and multiple desktops).

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul