Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Artillery and sea units

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rms@xxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Artillery and sea units
From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 06:48:12 -0700

scripsit Richard Stallman:
>     PS: what would happen to default game strategy if democracy and republic
>     switched places in the tech tree? I think it would interesting...
>
> I was amused by the idea that "in democracy there is no corruption".
> But if that really means a system of direct democracy, I guess I don't
> know.  How much corruption is there in Switzerland?

I would classify as pretty corrupt a system which condoned and
encouraged banks' seizure of the assets of holocaust victims' heirs.

Switzerland also isn't a `pure' democracy; it's a federal republic with
parliamentary democracy, much like Germany.

However, that's not what Freeciv corruption is about.  `Corruption'
really means inefficiency or waste in this case.  I think it's aruable
that the combination of market capitalism and parliamentary democracy is
likely to have less waste.  The downside of that is increased
unhappiness -- all the poor sods making minimum wage and being unable to
afford healthcare or education for their children are unhappy, and need
to be given bread and circus.

A social democracy, OTOH, might trade increased waste for decreased
unhappiness.  It's `waste' in the sense that the political right calls
waste -- government bureaucracy, welfare state, etc. -- but that keeps
more of the population content (or at least not being criminal).

--
Thanasis Kinias
Web Developer, Information Technology

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul