Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Artillery and sea units

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Richard Stallman <rms@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Artillery and sea units
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 16:52:20 -0500

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:45:28PM +0200, Per I Mathisen wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Thanasis Kinias wrote:
> > Does the will exist within the Freeciv community to do a
> > from-the-ground-up review of the tech tree?  The more I think about it,
> > the more excited I am about the possibilities.  However, I think most
> > everyone who has really studied it will agree that the tech tree's
> > relationship to any historical reality is at times rather tenuous.
> >
> > If the community would embrace such a project, I would surely be game.
>
> Absolutely. There is no reason why Freeciv shouldn't include more
> alternative rulesets. If one of these prove to be more popular than
> default, well, good reason for making it the default next time around.
>
> I am playing mostly with an alternative ruleset myself, as I love having
> workers separate from settlers, among other things.

unlike graphics, ruleset directories and files come cheap. I wouldn't
be opposed to setting up a "neodefault" (can fight over name later)
directory in data/ in CVS. Someone can present a "historically accurate"
ruleset, and then it can be tweaked into playability.

-mike

PS: what would happen to default game strategy if democracy and republic
switched places in the tech tree? I think it would interesting...