Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Tilesets in 1.13.0

To: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>, Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Tilesets in 1.13.0
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 18:37:43 +0200 (MEST)

[moved to -data:]

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Daniel L Speyer wrote:
> BTW: I am slightly suspicious of the Hires Ironclad -- it looks
> *extremely* similar to an actual photograph of an actual ironclad.  The
> photo was taken ~150 years ago, but its digitization may have
> re-copyrighted it (IANAL).  There are many strange lines in the sprite
> which don't make sense but were in the photo.

From the HiRes homepage:

"
??? How did you create your graphics?
I started out with photographic images (scanned photos, images from the
web, etc). Using Adobe Photoshop, I altered or customized the images as
needed, then scaled them down, enhancing them further for clarity.
"

> This should remind us that there are more places to copy from than
> enslavedciv.  In particular, we know that c-evo took from civ2 and Hires
> (which isn't legal either, GPL -/-> PD, but I leave that to the Hires
> author).  It is possible that they took from other illegal sources as
> well.  Unless we can find the actual creators of every sprite, cevo should
> be viewed with a bit of distrust.

There are some civ2 modpacks with units created from scratch that are very
good. Unfortunately, finding their original author to ask for permission
is often very difficult.

Yours,
Per

"As Israeli forces pursued militants, civilians
continued getting in the way and dying as a
result." -- New York Times, April 21