Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] help needed with tileset info (New Poll)

To: Freeciv data/ <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] help needed with tileset info (New Poll)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 18:11:32 +0200

> Which graphics tileset should the new release of Freeciv come with?
>
> IsoTrident
> Cevo tileset
> R-hires
> Lexxy
> Engels
> ASCII graphics

Trident is missing (!!!)
Tinydent, which I use, is missing too.
There is also mono-trident and perhaps more.

Besides, Freeciv always comes with multiple tilesets.

There is too little information about tilesets and it's scattered around
too much.  I'm unable to clean it up, because most of the documents
pertaining to tilesets weren't written by me.

We need some organization here.

Problems:

 - not clear to newbies how to use nondefault tileset (the documentation
  is sparse and scattered)
 - not clear how to install a nondistributed tileset
 - no standard file format or directory layout for tileset distributions
 - downloads.phtml must be maintained by hand
 - no way to check if a given tileset will work with a given
   version of Freeciv
 - too much manual work involved in contributing and installing
   screenshots on www.freeciv.org

I've spend hours on making tilesets more visible; a couple more today.
I just can't afford to waste time like this.  Some stuff should be
automated and redundancy minimized.  Any help is welcome.  I can
give more details if there are volunteers.

--
Reinier