Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: January 2002:
[freeciv-data] proposal to change the Freeciv CVS setup (was: Technical

To: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv data/ <freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-data] proposal to change the Freeciv CVS setup (was: Technical questions (numbered tile markers ))
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:07:36 +0100

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 12:45:23PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 07:30:04PM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 06:54:33PM +0200, Teemu Kurppa wrote:
> >
> > > And is there CVS for Freeciv manuals ? So that I could add the description
> > > and examples of the marker usage.
> >
> > The manuals are in CVS but I don't think they actually have a maintainer.
> >
> > I am looking for advice on how to give a person CVS write access to
> > a subtree of a CVS repository, using the ext method and Unix accounts
> > and permissions.  I have managed to make it work for translators in the
> > past, but I never knew the correct procedure.
>
> A typical approach would be to use groups.  You have a 'freeciv' group
> (which is most of the tree) and a 'freeciv-doc' group which is only
> the doc tree.
>
> Then most of the tree is chgrp freeciv, but the manuals are chgrp
> freeciv-doc. Then you add users to freeciv-doc (only) if you want them
> to be able to work on just the docs, but you add them to both groups
> if you want them to be able to work anywhere.

This is exactly what we have now, for translations, but it doesn't
quite work.

The problem:

 + the CVSROOT/ can only be in one place if it's going to be consistent
 + files in CVS/ must be writeable by everyone who writes somewhere below
   that directory
 + you can only cvs co a module (subdir of the root), not a subsubdir

Given these restrictions, I can't see a way to have different access
permissions somewhere deep in the tree.  Both the Freeciv code and the
Freeciv web tree are currently set up that way for translators, but it
often gives problems, especially when a new translation is added.

The proper setup is to let every different set of writers have a
separate CVS module, without any overlap.  So unless someone objects,
I'm going to set it up that way, and it's going to happen within a few
days because a new translator is waiting to be added.  Be prepared.

--
Reinier