Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: tolerance, political-correctness, and fascism (wasRe:

To: rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: tolerance, political-correctness, and fascism (wasRe: New Nazi cityset attached...)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 21:04:14 EDT

From: "SamBC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 23:05:34 +0100

And you have been ignoring the good, rational reason against its
inclusion that it was not a nation or society, but one period in the
history of a nation, and that nation is already included.

Very good point, Sam. I just want to add that the Chinese actually have a long and glorious history. The fact that in Freeciv the Chinese nation is represented by the flag of the People's Republic of China is only incidental and _in_no_way_ suggests that it refers SOLELY to the current Communist regime. It is just that no single unifying symbol is able to represent over 5,000 years of Chinese history. There were long periods of monarchy, and under the emperor, the flag changes from dynasty to dynasty. Only in the early part of the 20th century, a republic started to emerge under the Kuomintang (Natinal People's Party), but didn't get very far among constant war and turmoil. And in 1949, defeated by the Communists, the Kuomintang retreated to Taiwan and stayed there ever since, still under the name Republic of China. So it would not be unreasonable to use the flag of ROC to represent the Chinese, although fewer people will able to recognize it.

Just my RMB 17 Fen.

Mike