Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: January 2005:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#10694) AI Builds Doomed Ferries and Passengers

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#10694) AI Builds Doomed Ferries and Passengers
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:59:13 -0800

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Benedict Adamson wrote:
> I've implemented the change to the AI bodyguard and city guard code I
> outlined in early November. The attached patch is applicable to the CVS
> development version of 2004-12-29. This isa large change, so it will of
> course require review and amendment before being committed. I welcome
> your comments.

I like it a lot. Thank you for documenting it well.

aiguard_find_charge() : Why not use movemap here to avoid a costly pf
iteration over the map? If two turn radius is not enough, movemap can be
extended.

assault_conquest_chance() : Doesn't this fall into the trap I fell into
previously, in that I did not account for loss of hitpoints during combat?
Win chance is fine for one vs one combat, but for larger battles involving
multiple units, you also want defenders that can hurt the enemy units, not
just kill them. One patch of mine that only looked at win chance, made the
AI figure that diplomats was the by far best defender, since its win
chance was almost as good as the other available defenders at the time,
but it was far cheaper. However, this ignores the fact that these other
defenders were far more likely to reduce the attacker to low hp and thus
save the city from repeat attacks.

So at times, instead of counting loss in shields, we might want to count
loss in hp.

stack_cost(): all uses of this should use #define'd values

unit_list_has(): yes, speclist.h is the place for it

More comments and playtesting feedback later.