Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#9808) AI should remove shared vision more often

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#9808) AI should remove shared vision more often
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:35:38 -0700

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 07:49:08AM -0700, Mateusz Stefek wrote:

> AI doesn't share vision with you if it's not safe, but once shared
> vision is accepted AI will never remove it even if it became dangerous.
> For example if AI's ally give shared vision to someone, who is neutral
> to AI.  This may result in vision shared beetwen enemies (and is in fact
> very often in auto-games).

A related problem is that the AI often gives shared vision without
demanding quid pro quo; then asks for it repeatedly, without
consequences to refuse it.

Also, human players don't automatically withdraw vision from enemies,
which is odd.  There should at the very least be a popup asking to
withdraw vision, if it's not done automatically (I could see giving
vision to an enemy in some strange circumstances).

Finally, a more general problem: the AI very rarely drops alliances or
sues (or even accepts, at any price) for peace.  An alliance lasts
pretty much forever; a war does too.  Macchiavelli would shake his head
at this.

        -- Benoît