Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8474) clean up road_bonus()

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8474) clean up road_bonus()
From: "Anthony J. Stuckey" <astuckey@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:28:40 -0700

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 05:27:15AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, James Canete wrote:
> > should the AI think about connecting up its cities directly?
>
> The argument against is that it makes it easier for enemies to conquer the
> AI. Especially if we extend it to rail. We should at least look for ways
> to protect the AI against quick conquest along our road/railways, since it
> tends to keep cities unprotected when there are no enemies nearby.

        The AI should definitely connect up cities directly.  It should be wary
of building roads/rail near shorelines. (making a "moat" to protect against
the aforementioned sudden appearance of enemies)  It should probably not
build "out into the wilderness", unless there is an expectation that
settlers will be regularly following that path very soon.