Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8474) clean up road_bonus()

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8474) clean up road_bonus()
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 03:02:59 -0700

Anthony is right.
The next level of sophistication though goes something like ...

Roads tend to be built everywhere as the trade component is usually a bonus.

Railroads should be built sparingly on a much more limited number of bonus
tiles and for connectivity purposes. Optimizing the number of railroads
built is a good thing (TM), and thus *direct* in the sense of a simple
straight line between cities may not be the best choice. But *direct* in the
sense of minimum path cost is certainly a useful goal. Defensibility of the
rail network is also useful, while some redundancy in a mature network means
a single enemy cannot cutoff regions by ZOC overlap or occupation.

Cheers,
RossW
=====