Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Simple AI Modifications

To: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Simple AI Modifications
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:47:45 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Kevin Gaittens wrote:
> My name is Kevin, and I'm new to this mailgroup. I'm
> working with a professor for Lehigh University and he
> wants to use FreeCiv as a project for a graduate level
> artificial intelligence course.
>
> Basically he wants students to make small
> modifications to the AI for 1 vs 1 battles in a small
> area.

Sounds cool.

What does he mean by "battles", though? The full 1 vs 1 AI game, including
research, settling, etc, or just optimizing AI unit warfare?

> I've downloaded the code from freeciv.org and have
> tried to figure out what is going on through source
> code and the README.ai file but am not having too much
> luck in gaining a good understanding of what is going
> on.
>
> So my question is whether there are good resources
> available to help me get started? I couldn't really
> find too much information through google relating to
> this type of issue.

Read doc/README.AI, and maybe other docs in doc/. Then check through the
email archive of this list for anything that might be of interest.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

I would recommend using the cvs sources instead of 1.14.x sources, since
the AI code in cvs is cleaner and generally more readable.