Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: September 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#5633) Order of AI activities.

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#5633) Order of AI activities.
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:53:01 -0700

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 12:38:26PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > This was discussed over IRC and we came to an agreement that AI
> > activities should be all performed in one place, either in the end of
> > the turn or in the beginning.  Now I started implementing it and thought
> > of a good reason not to do it.
> >
> > It has to do with urgent purchase of defenders.
>
> AI movement should (must) all occur in the same place.  Other AI actions
> (like purchasing) may be done elsewhere, but I'm not sure this will
> solve all possible problems (I can imagine there might be a whole class
> of problems similar to the purchase-of-defenders one).

I think it's possible to split up some of the AI-activities.

A human has to rethink about his moved units when he sees new enemy
units in front of his city. (Double turns)

And i think the same is true for the AI. When i land with a transport
full of horses and the AI can't do anything after i've done that the AI
will never have a chance to beat me. (Ok the same is true for humans
with AI-double turns ...)

The AI should try to move its units at the begin of a round, but change
production at the end of a round. And reacting on enemy moves after the
enemy has moved.

> One thing that would solve the problems is if AI end-of-turn activities
> (like production) were done at the end of the AI turn, and human
> end-of-turn activities at the end of the human turn.  This would
> generalize well into an alternating-turn Freeciv.  But even then the AI
> should be able to make non-movement actions at any time.

I think we shouldn't move far away from the concurrent movement concept.
(But we shouldn't go to close to real-time game too)

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.