Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#4018) Virtual unit in CHECK_UNIT

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#4018) Virtual unit in CHECK_UNIT
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:53:21 -0700

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > Essentially, AI constructs a virtual unit in assess_danger, if the enemy
> > is going to build it next turn.Then tries to estimate the distance, in
> > assess_distance.If boatid != 0, assess_distance calls find_beachhead,
> > which attempts to verify the unit.
> >
> > Easiest solution: kill the assert.
>
> Best solution: Kill this stupid way to assess danger. It is in all
> likelihood totally ineffective, and just wastes CPU. Failing that, just
> snipe that CHECK_UNIT.

<per> assessing danger by looking at what enemy cities are going to
produce next turn should be killed

I agree

<per> if anything is cheating then this is

I agree

<per> so anyone who is against omniscience should definitely want this
removed ;)

I am not against omniscience as such, but I think it should be guarded by
a handicap check.

<per> and i think this code is useless. unless there is railroad between
that city and the assessing city, there is time to
build a defender _after_ that enemy unit has been built anyway

the time to get from that city to us is taken into account (this is the
call to assess_distance which causes the problem)

<per> the code is ugly as hell, and wastes plenty CPU

I agree