Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: January 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: AI diplomacy v5 (PR#2413)

Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: AI diplomacy v5 (PR#2413)
From: "Per I. Mathisen via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 06:27:42 -0800

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx via RT wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 07:22:38PM -0800, Per I. Mathisen via RT wrote:
> > - We break shared vision before going to war or ditching useless allies.
>
> Why aren't we doing shared vision?

We are, but only give it to allies.

> > - We try to pick fights with civilizations closer to our homeland rather
> > than that other guy on the other side of the map. Try to.
>
> Thats not always the way to win. Sometimes you have to ally with your
> neighbours and attack the players on the rest of the map.

Yes, I realize that. We merely adjust the war desire a little for
distance. It is more like a tie-breaker than a strong preference.

Note also that the AI is very, very bad at fighting with enemies that are
far away. See for example http://www.leftist.net/challenge.sav.gz how
Sauron never attacks until he has cities close to Elros (a good example of
how bad the AI is at war - if it wasn't for Greg's flying AI code, a human
player could even play Elros to victory...).