Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: December 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#2477) Improved Auto-Explore

To: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: (PR#2477) Improved Auto-Explore
From: "aas02101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 02:06:16 -0800

I both looked at and tested your patch.  The behaviour is very nice!

Do you think you can use explorer_desirable function in the Part3 of the
function as well?  I think it can and should be done, with an appropriate
weighting for the distance.  This you'll need to tweak, so that the explorer
doesn't go across the whole map to uncover one ocean tile if there are plenty
non-ocean ones around.

Also, it is very useful to uncover tiles that are within city radius of one of
player's cities (especially so for the AI, it seems).  Can you add a special
weighting for it in explorer_desirable ?  To check this condition, you can
city_radius_iterate around the tile and see if you hit a city.

As for get_range function, it is ok, you indeed fixed the FIXME so you can merge
two comments into one explaining why this function exists and also fix the
header comment of this function.  Personally I think this fortress effect should
be altogether ignored when exploring.  I don't think anyone ever enables
watchtowers and/or builds fortresses.

Best wishes,