Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: December 2002:
[freeciv-ai] RFC: Behaviour constants.

To: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] RFC: Behaviour constants.
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 22:27:52 +0000 (GMT)

How can we improve AI without going too deep?

This is a legitimate question, and an answer to it is given by various
constants and factors and multipliers that the AI code is peppered with.
Examples are: what is considered to be a small nation (number of cities)
-- used to encourage settler building; what is the default danger for
capital; what is food/shield weighting etc.

Some of these numbers are defines, some are just plain numbers.  What I
propose is to collect them all in some .h file included in all AI files,
so they can be tweaked in a systematic way.  Then tweak them and run
pitfights, lots of them.  There ar, of course difficulties like "constant
is constant for all nations", but they are solvable.

A note on pitfights: when I did it, I used Per's script, but slightly
modified.  I would run a gmame with two players H and E, and each map
would be run twice, the second time with E in H's starting position and
vice versa.  Then if E would lose both games I knew my changes were making
it weaker; if E won both games, it was becoming stronger.

Best wishes,