Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: active ai diplomats

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: active ai diplomats
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 23:56:12 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > This means three losses were turned into victories, which is quite nice.
>
> It is but I am not sure what you mean by "experimental"? Or did you add
> H_DIPLOMAT handicap to the hard level?

No, before I made the version I posted to the list, I had the old code and
the new code coexisting side-by-side, separated by a call to
ai_handicap(pplayer, H_EXPERIMENTAL).

> BTW, there is a file "duh" somewhere in your patch and it shouldn't be
> there.

Duh!

> Another thing, H_DIPLOMAT set does not fully prevent aggressive diplomat
> action: a diplomat can still be built defensively and when the danger goes
> away released into the wild.Did you intend it this way?  (I think it
> makes certain sense).

That was unintented, but might not be too bad... or maybe it is... easy is
too hard as it is. I don't know.

> And finally, a diplomat bribing an enemy unit is _not_guaranteed_ to move
> to the unit's square, see diplomat_bribein server/diplomats.c.Thus
>     /* if we came out of a city, try to return */
>     if (pcity != NULL) {
>       ai_unit_move(pdiplomat, pcity->x, pcity->y);
>     }
> in ai_diplomat_bribe_nearby can sometimes trigger an assert.

Ah. Well spotted.

Yours
Per

"I don't see why people are so upset about cloning sheep. American
television networks have been doing that to their audiences for years."
-- Jello Biafra