Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch for units recovering hit points

To: Baumans <baumans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jordi Negrevernis i Font <jorneg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch for units recovering hit points
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:54:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> >   An idea: if a unit wants to heal, but it can't find a city that's close
> > enough, fotify it.

...on a terrain position with high defense value, yes.

> > Also, if a unit's in a city, it only goes after huts.
> > You might want to change that to also attack enemies that it really wants to
> > fight (> 70000?).

Yes.

+/* is the unit damaged?, if true recover hit points */
+  punittype=get_unit_type(punit->type);
+  if (punit->hp < punittype->hp * 0.25 ||
+       (punit->ai.ai_role = AIUNIT_RECOVER_HIT_POINTS &&

As Raimar said, missing =

+static bool find_nearest_friendly_city(struct unit *punit)

I suggest renaming to find_nearest_friendly_barrack() to indicate strongly
that this is only for land units. Also, please add something to the
function comment about the return value.

+{
+  struct player *pplayer = unit_owner(punit);
+  int best = 6 * THRESHOLD + 1, cur;
+  generate_warmap(map_get_city(punit->x, punit->y), punit);
+  players_iterate(aplayer) {
+    if (pplayers_allied(pplayer,aplayer)) {
+      city_list_iterate(aplayer->cities, pcity) {
+        cur = warmap.seacost[pcity->x][pcity->y];

You should use warmap.cost, not warmap.seacost.

+static void ai_recover_hit_points(struct player *pplayer,struct unit *punit)

I would call it ai_manage_hitpoint_recovery() to indicate that it is in
the same league as the other ai_manage_* functions.

+    /* rest in city until the hitpoints are recovered */
+    do {
+    res=ai_military_findvictim(pplayer, punit, &dest_x, &dest_y);

Indent.

+    if ((dest_x == punit->x && dest_y == punit->y) || (res != 99998)) {
+      /* nothing to kill and no huts to find, so wait to recover all the
hitpoints */
+      break;

This makes no sense to me. If dest_x|y are unchanged, then findvictim
found nothing, correct. But why special case huts (99998)?

I would instead check if (res > 1).

+    } else { /* goto does NOT work for fast units */

I don't understand this comment.

+      handle_unit_move_request(punit, dest_x, dest_y, FALSE, FALSE);

Replace with ai_unit_attack().

+      punit = find_unit_by_id(id);
+    }
+    } while (punit && punit->moves_left > 0); /* want units to attack multiple
times */

Good idea, a bit hard to read implementation.

+  } else {
+    /* goto to nearest city to recover hit points */
+    /* just before, check to see if we can occupy at enemy city undefended */
+    res=ai_military_findvictim(pplayer, punit, &dest_x, &dest_y);
+    if (res == 99999) {
+      /* we find an undefended city near us, occupy!!! */
+      freelog(LOG_DEBUG, "%s's %s at (%d, %d) occuping (%d, %d) while trying
to recover hit points.",
+              pplayer->name, unit_type(punit)->name,
+              punit->x, punit->y, dest_x, dest_y);
+      handle_unit_move_request(punit, dest_x, dest_y, FALSE, FALSE);
+      return;
+    }

I would combine this with the similar code above, and use if (res > 1),
since it is always better to attack a weaker unit, I believe, than to let
it attack us. It could be a catapult type unit. Our weakened state is
calculated into consideration anyway.

+      freelog(LOG_DEBUG, "%s's unit (%d) die trying to recover hit points.",

Should be "died".

Overall, looks like a very nice patch, but I have not tested it.

Will anyone post an updated version?

Yours
Per