Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: July 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Borg AI.

To: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Borg AI.
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:39:27 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> You have to cope with incomplete information (fog of war) in every
> fair AI which doesn't cheat. You have to estimate the strength of the
> enemy.

In most games, most of the time, you don't see more than a tiny
fraction of the enemy's forces, if at all. An influence map created using
this tiny slice of the total picture will give you a very misleading
influence map.

So I don't see how an influence map that is rebuilt each turn can be
viable.

If you can somehow make an influence map that isn't rebuilt but has some
kind of decay function to represent decreasing reliability of past
observations, then it might work since over time you see a lot more of the
enemy's forces, if you do active exploring/patroling, but that'll be quite
complex.

Yours
Per