Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: ai bug when splitting up settlers

To: <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: ai bug when splitting up settlers
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 02:13:38 +0200 (MEST)

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> settlers.c:void contemplate_terrain_improvements(struct city *pcity)
> This fix seems to be necessary. This code was copy&pasted from the
> F_CITIES code by whoever did the F_SETTLERS and F_CITIES split. I bet
> there are a lot of other issues he did not fix also.

Alas, the AI has no checks and balances on building of workers. It doesn't
build all that many settlers since cities can't bear the food costs. And
when it does build too many settlers, it merely ships them off to another
island to settle down. Since we can't do the latter with workers, it
builds way too many and they don't know what to do.

The entire code must probably be rewritten. It might attempt to estimate
how many workers are needed on that continent and then build max that
many. Then it could ship excess workers off the island. Aaarrgh. That will
not be easy. Any other ideas?

Yours,
Per

"As Israeli forces pursued militants, civilians
continued getting in the way and dying as a
result." -- New York Times, April 21